Saturday, February 18, 2012

Some Tropical Playtime

...this week... I have been looking through the photos, my daughter and her friends have been sharing.. from their Fijian Adventure - Wow! what an amazing trip they had...living in a traditional village for a few days and experiencing island life in 3 different backpacker resorts...I have really enjoyed the pictorial journey, they have taken me on ...and it has inspired my latest card projects. On the last day in the village the villagers said goodbye in a traditional Fijian ceremony - all the volunteer participants were adorned in a necklace, made from tropical flowers and then had their faces covered in talcum powder and in some instances, paint (the significance of this, I am unsure of ??).



I love the lush green foliage of the tropics and the bright pinks, yellows and oranges of tropical flowers, they just "ooze" happiness. Therefore, they were the colours I reached for in my Copic Collection when it came to creating these cards.


The images are both digital stamps from Mo Manning - "Pineapple Girl" and "Kalei"....an adorable tropical feel to these island cuties!

Copics Used: Pineapple Girl

Skin: E000, E01, E11, Cheeks: RV42
Hair: E25, E27, E21
Dress: Y38, Y26, Y21,YG11, YG13, YG17Lei: RV55, RV02, RV10, Y38 - Blossom Spica Pen
Pineapple: Y38, Y26, Y21, YG11, YG13, YG17 - Buttermilk Spica Pen/White Gel Pen

Copics Used: Kalei

Skin: E33, E35, E37, Cheeks RV42
Grass Skirt: YG97, YG95, YG91
Hair: Black, E04, E77, E79
Top:Y38, Y26, Y21
Lei: RV55, RV02, RV10,

It was fun to use the same combination of colours on both these cards - and end up with different results. I also experimented with different skin tones (very new for me). I even added "rosier" cheeks by using RV42 instead of my favoured R20 - actually, I reached for a whole new colour combination of pink for these cards - I felt my usual combination of R81, R83 and R85 was not vivid enough for a tropical theme. If you are looking for new pink combinations yourself, be sure to pay a visit to the Mad for Markers Challenge Blog the DT have been sharing some gorgeous creations using R or RV Copic Makers - don't be afraid to join in too :)


The sentiment on both cards were created using "A Little Pot" font - I like to use my computer to generate my sentiments as it means I can create the perfect sentiment for my theme.... these were inspired by the greetings of the Fijian and Hawaiian people...and I thought they were perfect for the current challenge at Mo's Challenge Blog :)

One of the most famous expressions in Fiji is “Bula” (pronounced boolah). It is the Fijian word for “hello”. “Ni sa bula vinaka” is the full correct greeting- meaning “a warm hello,” but ‘Bula’ is more commonly used, especially for visitors to Fiji as it is quick and easy to learn and understand. 'Bula’ is as significant in Fiji as “Aloha” is to Hawaii - 'Bula 'represents more than just ‘hello’, it also means happiness and health.

The formal way  to say goodbye in Fijian is 'ni sa moce', pronounced 'nee-sah-moh-thay', though it is mostly and simply said as just 'moce'. It is also the word for goodnight. 

- until next time... "moce - my friends"

4 comments:

Elaine L. said...

Your cards are wonderful! I love the color palette you've used and your pretty flowers! Glad you shared them with us in Mo's Challenge.

Carla S. said...

Beautiful cards, Chris! I love the vibrant colors and beautifully colored images! Thanks for joining us for Mo's Challenge this week!

Sammi said...

Great photos! And those cards are so beautiful!! LOVE them both .. so bright and lovely!
Sammi
xx

Dorcas said...

What fun you all had! Fantastic cards! I'm so glad you were able to join us this week at Mo's!
Hugs,
Dorcas
ps) we encourage everyone who has word verification to turn it off as you'll get more comments from the DT.(Especially since word verification has gone to this new, 'almost impossible to get on first try' double word scramble.
Just a thought. :)